City Hall

120 N Main St

PO Box 587

Groton, SD 57445

Ph 605-397-8422

Fax 605-397-4498


City Shop

10 E Railroad Ave

PO Box 587

Groton, SD 57445

Ph 605-397-2690

Contact Us

 Paul Kosel


Rubble Site Info









Rubble Site

Address: 500 S 5th Street

Only grass, leaves, metal concrete and non-treated wood allowed.

Questions? Call Paul at 397-7460

The rubble site is located south of town. The city has a state permit to operate a rubble site; thus, only certain items are accepted.

Hours: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Winter Months by Appointment.

Items accepted are trees and branches, wood that is not treated or painted, metal; grass, garden refuse and leaves; and also concrete for an additional charge.

Rubble Site Information Update: If you're planning on using the Rubble Site, you will not have access without having a 4 digit access code. You will need to stop at City Hall to purchase your rubble site permit and receive your code. Codes will need to be entered into the panel at the gate followed by the # key.

Rubble Site Fees

Annual Rubble Site Permits expire as of December 31st of every year.

Other items may be taken to the Brown County Landfill.

Insulation, shingles, construction material, plastic, painted lumber, etc... cannot be dumped because the city has a rubble site permit with the State of South Dakota. If there is a violation of this permit, the city could lose its license and the state could shut down the rubble site. It's important that we all do our part so we can keep the rubble site open for the community. If you dump material that is not allowed, you could be fined $200.

Instead of hiring someone to monitor the rubble site, the city has installed cameras to assist in monitoring. This will help keep the expenses down and also keep your fees as low as possible. The camera will capture a picture of your vehicle and license plate number. There are also cameras at the rubble site. If you have not paid when you dump, please stop in at city hall to pay. If you do not pay, you will be sent a bill.

Grass Leaves Garden Material: You must empty and take your bags back with you or put the bags in the garbage can which is located to the east of the grass area. Do not leave pots, artificial flowers, pop bottles or cans, etc, as they are not part of the composite. When dumping your material, please back up as far as possible to help eliminate gaps between the piles.

Trees, Branches, and Non-treated wood: (Such things as green treated wood, painted wood, paneling, insulation, construction materials, shingles, etc... are not permitted). If you have a truck or trailer load of branches, please take them to the back and dump as close to the rest of the trees as possible so we do not leave large gaps.

Metal: We do accept metal, but please be aware that many appliances today are not made of metal, but rather plastic. We cannot accept plastic. If you are leaving an appliance, make sure the freeon has been taken care of and make sure the technician who took out the freeon puts a tag on the unit.

4-1-13 city Restricted Solid Waste Site: F. It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, corporation or business to do any of the following at the city's restricted solid waste site: 4. retrieve, take away or remove any rubble without written permission from the city.