120 N Main St
PO Box 587
Contact Us

Application for Building Permit

Building Specs










Building a House?

Doing some remodeling?

Here are some important tips to remember:

Building Permit: A building permit is required if you plan to do any remodeling, building or shingling (all construction-new or remodeling). Permit fees are based on the construction costs. Apply at City Hall.

Permit Fee: $25 + .005 of your total project cost

NEW Fee Schedule effective January 1, 2020

Set-backs: The address of your house will be determined by your front door. City Hall assigns the address. The front side needs a 30' set-back with a 7' setback on the sides and backside (remember, the overhang is where the measuring starts). If you live on a corner lot, the front side is 30' and the other side to the street is 15'. If you are not going to be within these measurements, you will need to apply for a variance through the city's Planning and Zoning Commission which meets the fourth Monday of each month. In order to apply for a variance, you must make the request at least two weeks prior to the fourth Monday to ensure publication.

Drain-tile: The water table in the community is high. It is required that you have drain tile in your basement and around the outside perimeter of the house. Drain tile must be plumbed to the outside in the Spring, Summer and Fall. Failure to run your sump pump outside will be a $500 penalty.

Floating Slabs: If your garage or addition is going to be on a floating slab, it must not be attached to your permanent foundation.

Water and Sewer Service: You will need to contact the Public Works Department at 397-2690 to get information about the hook up of these services.

Electric service: You will need to contact the Electric Superintendent at 397-2690 to verify placement of your electric meters and what you will be responsible for in the installation of electric service to your house. A wiring affidavit will need to be turned in to the Electric Superintendent before service can be hooked up. The city also offers a reduced electric rate on heating and cooling. The city offers a dual fuel rate and rebates for qualifying heating and cooling systems. Also, you get a rebate on qualifying lifetime warranty water heaters.

Load Control: All electric heat, electric air-conditioning, and electric water heaters must be controlled. A load management receiver must be installed. The city supplies the receiver and the homeowner is responsible for the installation. A monthly rebate is also given to qualifying water heaters on load control.

Remember to have your contractors call One-Call at 811 at least 48 hours before digging!