Groton Union Cemetery
Address: 1509 N Broadway
A BIG THANKS TO OUR SUBSCRIPTION TO THE GROTON DAILY INDEPENDENT WHICH HAS PROVIDED US WITH NUMEROUS OBITUARIES THAT WE ARE ABLE TO COPY TO BE VIEWED ONLINE.
Gravesites at the cemetery are sold for $200 and can be purchased at City Hall.
- Memorial Removal. The city shall not be responsible for articles placed on the lots and may remove, without notice, any article considered objectionable or detrimental to theaesthetic value, peace, or tranquility of the cemetery. Memorial Day wreathes and flowers may be placed on the graves/lots from May 20 to June 15. Memorials shall be moved next to the headstone after June 15 for ease of mowing. Memorials may be kept any place on the lot after June 15, if lot owners or next of kin keep the lot properly mowed and trimmed. Memorials shall be taken off the graves/lots September 7 each year by the owners or next of kin or it shall be removed by the City after that date. The memorials shall be discarded by the City.
- Any plants or bushes may be planted anywhere on the lot, but they must be trimmed to stay on the lot.
- Memorials must be within the lot lines.
- City is not responsible for lost, stolen of blown away memorials.
- All burials in the cemetery shall be made in a concrete box or vault which is impervious to the soil and animal intrusions.
- All markers and monuments shall be constructed of granite or cement supported by a granite or cement foundation.
- No driving shall be permitted except upon driveways.
- At time of burial, a $50 burial marking fee will be assessed.
Rules for Burial of Cremains
- Cremains need to be buried 2 feet down from the top of the concrete box or vault which is impervious to the soil and animal intrusions.
- The family will need to obtain a Human Remains Disposal Permit from the Brown County Courthouse, Register of Deeds in Aberdeen, SD or from an undertaker of their choice. Be sure to bring a copy of the death certificate to receive this permit.
- There is a $50 burial marking fee assessed at time of burial. The area of burial can be marked by the Public Works Department upon request. The area can be dug by the family or can be hired done.